Vaping has become a popular way of consuming cannabis. Smoking involves burning marijuana and inhaling the smoke with all the chemicals it contains. Vaping only heats the dry herb, or its derivatives, to the point at which it produces vapor. Vape juice is one of the options and although you can purchase it at vape shops or dispensaries you can also make it at home.
If you are interested in making your THC-infused vape juice, then read on. You can obtain a lot of benefits when you make your own juice. Most of all you can get just the right amount of high. You get the right amount of THC that you prefer every time even though it may take some experimentation to get to the desired result.
The Three Ways to Make THC Vape Juice
Long-term Steeping or Extraction
This is an easy way to make vape juice with THC. But it also takes the longest amount of time, as it will take three months to complete the process. But don’t be immediately put off as we will show you a much faster way as you read on.
The beauty of this method is it is almost fool-proof, as there are only two crucial phases here: decarboxylating your strain and mixing it with your VG and PG solutions. More about these in a moment!
Here is a list of the items you need:
- Your favorite strain, with the quantity depending on the strength you want.
- Weed Grinder
- Food-grade Vegetable Glycerin (VG) and Propylene Glycol (PG) mixture.
- Baking tray or oven-safe bowl
- Aluminum foil
- Glass jar with an airtight lid
- Rice press
- Bottle to store your juice.
Now the method
- The first thing you need to do is grind your buds, but don’t make the result too fine. You want the buds to be coarse but of even size. You want bigger bits, and not fine particles that will slip through the filter at the end of the process.
- Spread your coarsely ground buds on a baking tray or oven-safe bowl and cover with foil, and decarboxylate them so that you activate the THC in your strain. Place the tray or bowl in an oven and heat at approximately 220 degrees Fahrenheit for around 30-45 minutes. Full decarboxylation may need more time but this can depend on the strain.If you are not sure what decarboxylating is, in brief, it is heating the buds to remove the acidic properties of THCa turning into THC. We will write an article about this shortly as it is a necessary process not only for juice but for any means to ingest cannabis that does not involve smoking or vaping the dry herb.
- While you are heating these herbs, you can work on your PG/VG solution. You can either buy pre-mixed or purchase them separately.When making the solution, remember this is what they are for::• PG is responsible for bringing out the flavor; and
• VG makes your vape juice viscous and creates thick clouds when vaped.Given these, you need to have a good balance of the two. A reasonable proportion is a mixture of 60 percent VG and 40 percent PG for a good balance of flavor and viscosity.
- After mixing these, if you plan to add a flavor to mask the smell of your vapors, you can add this here.
- Once the decarboxylation is finished, let the buds cool down and transfer to an airtight jar.
- Then add the VG/PG solution, with or without flavor, until the buds are covered in juice.
- Stir your solution and store it in a cool dark place for three months. During this time, you will need to give it a stir every couple of weeks to ensure even distribution. You may also need to add more VG/PG solution.
- At the end of the three months, give the resultant mixture a final stir. Take the rice press and put it on top of another glass jar, and line it with a few layers of cheesecloth.
- Pour in the mixture onto the rice press, cover with cheesecloth, and squeeze out the juice. The cheesecloth will act as a filter to keep any particles from your buds mixing into the final juice. The reason for having the course grind at the beginning.
- The THC vape juice is now ready to use. Just syringe the required amount to add to your e-cigarette or vaporizer.
A Faster Infusion Method
This method is not much different to the longer-term or three-month infusion. You will need the items listed above, plus a few others:
- A double boiler
- To begin, grind, and decarboxylate your buds, just as you would in the previous method, including the PG/VG solution, and any masking flavors.
- Then let the buds cool down, and pour your solution into the jar until all the buds are fully submerged.
- Now add water to the bigger reservoir of your double boiler, around half an inch deep. Then add water to the smaller container of the double boiler.
- Put your double boiler on the stove and heat it until you get a temperature of 220 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Immerse the jar with your buds mixture into the double boiler and let it hear up to 180 degrees Fahrenheit. You need to maintain this temperature and not let it get higher, as this infuses the THC into the PG/VG solution.
- Once you reach the temperature, keep it heated at that level for at least one hour. Longer if you want a more potent hit.
- You will almost certainly need to add more PG/VG solutions during the heating time, but don’t add too much to prevent reduced potency.
- When you think the mixture is right for you, take it out of the double boiler and let it cool.
- When the mixture is still warm, take your rice press and cheesecloths and set it up as described in the previous technique. Pour in your mixture with the cheesecloth acting as a filter.
- You can also use another cheesecloth to help you push out the solution.
- The filtered mixture is now your THC vape juice.
THC Vape Juice From Rosin
This is one of the quickest ways to make vape juice infused with THC. If you own a rosin press or buy rosin, you may want to consider this alternative faster method.
- Your favorite cannabis buds or rosin
- A Rosin Press (If starting with buds)
- Parchment paper
- Pyrex glass
- Wax liquidizer
- If you are starting with buds, follow the instructions of the manufacturer of your rosin press. Collect the rosin in a clean container.
- Add 0.5 grams of your rosin and mix with a milliliter of your Wax Liquidizer in a Pyrex container. You can add more but maintain a ratio of 1:2.
- Once you have enough in your Pyrex container, you will need to heat it.
- You can run the glass over a lighter for a few seconds until it bubbles, and then mix. Or, you can use a small amount of boiling water in a bowl and immerse your Pyrex container until the rosin and wax liquidizer is hot enough to mix easily.
- Once mixed, your THC vape juice is ready for vaping.
These methods are offered as a guide to help you to make vape juice that’s infused with THC. You can modify these as you see fit to meet your personal preferences.
You may well not get it right at the first attempt, as it will take practice to get the right mixture. So consider this article as a guide to help you experiment with different flavors and combinations until you find the exact mixture to perfect THC-infused vape juice.