You’ve just spent three months waiting anxiously for harvest time. Your cannabis crop is looking ready and smelling good. At this point, you might be thinking about investing in an automatic bud trimmer—speeding things up, saving yourself a bit of manual labor. However, the last thing you want to do is harm those buds you’ve worked so hard on with a poor quality trim. Time to take a look at the best bud trimmer machines on the market…
What are the Best Bud Trimmers?
Of course, if you have only a couple of plants, taking care of the job by hand with a good pair of shears is no big deal. Get a two-pack of shears so you always have a backup, or you can work with a friend.
However, if you’ve got more than a couple of plants, that’s when you’re going to want to think about getting a machine.
To help you decide, here’s our pick of the best bud trimmer machines currently available. Whether you want a handheld bud trimmer, a small tabletop trimmer, bowl trimmer or something more industrial, we’ll help you find just the right machine for you—and your budget.
Other Small Crop Trimmer Choices
Trim plants faster with a bud trimming machine
It’s tricky to pick a good bud trimming machine. You definitely don’t want a bad one that will destroy all your hard work. So we’ve done the research and found the best bud trimmer machines for you.
One or two plants? Trim buds by hand
If you have just a couple of plants, all you’re really going to need to trim your buds is a good pair of shears.
Or ideally a couple of them, so that you can rotate them as the resin builds up on the blades—use one pair while the other one soaks clean in rubbing alcohol.
TOP TIP: You can leave the alcohol to evaporate from the resulting mixture, leaving behind scissor hash. Or just scrape the hash off the scissors and smoke immediately.
Best trimming practices
Wet or dry?
There’s a big debate over whether it’s best to trim wet or dry bud. Trimming wet bud by hand gets pretty messy. Trimming it with a machine is easier. But wet trimming generally nets you prettier buds in the end. Plus, wet trimming in general is way easier than trying to trim dry weed that’s all curled up.
Letting your cannabis dry first can be a good idea if you live in a dry place with low humidity. Letting the weed dry slowly with the leaves on it is a good thing. If you trim the weed first, it might speed up the drying process too much.
Other Stuff You Really Need
Even if you’re using a monster trimming machine like the Trimpro, you want gloves. They keep the resin off your skin and protect the buds, too. Make sure they fit well, especially if you are using shears or the Trimpro. Safety first!
GreenThumbPro Hydroponic 2 Pack Straight blade and Curved Blade Flower Leaf Trimmer Pruner Shears
- REDUCE HAND STRESS: We know that pruning for long periods of time can take its toll on your hands. These scissors were made to eliminate the day to day stress that comes from long time pruning with our soft grip handles, sharp stainless steel blades and quick release spring.
- PROFESSIONAL DESIGN: Not only is our pruners durable and lightweight they are made with high quality extra sharp stainless steel blades, Soft grip handles for comfort and a quick release spring for ease of use.
- PERFECT FOR ALL TYPES OF GARDENING: These extra durable pruning shears are a must have for hobby or commercial growers who care about the quality of their product and prefer to hand trim their flowers. Whether your pruning stems, roots or trimming flowers we are confident that these scissors will get the job done.
- A MORE PRECISE CUT: Whether you are pruning your standard stems and flowers with our straight blade or need the perfect angle to reach those hard to reach areas with the curved blade, we got you covered. This combo of will get your herbs, bonsai, tomato, roses or succulents looking beautiful and on point.
- GREENTHUMBPRO QUALITY PROMISE: Don't waste you time on poorly made pruners that break just after a few uses. This pruner was designed with the quality your looking for, we are so confident you’ll be satisfied that if it doesn't meet your expectations, you can always return it for a full refund, no questions asked
These shears by GreenThumbPro are pretty comfy to use. They have 2-inch-long curved tip blades that make precision cuts easy. They also lock shut for safety, like when you want to slip them in a pocket. Alternatively, a lot of growers swear by Chikamasa garden scissors, because the curved blades give extra shaping possibilities.
Remember that all the “leftovers” are good for something. The hash on your shears, the resin on your gloves, and the leaves that were trimmed off can all be used for smoking and edibles.
It’s as near to hand trimming as you’re going to get without picking up some shears—but much easier and it’ll save you a ton of time.
Now let’s continue with our best bud trimming machine reviews.
Best Manual & Motorized Bud Trimmer Machines
The links in the table above all go to Amazon, since Amazon carries pretty much everything and pretty much everyone already has an Amazon account…
However, in the reviews below, we’ve also linked to the same items on Trimleaf where possible. Where an item is only available on Trimleaf, it will not appear in the table above but will be linked to the price page on Trimleaf.
Why buy on Trimleaf instead?
In addition to Amazon, some of the trimmers below are sold also or even exclusively on Trimleaf. If you are looking at anything over $500, it’s worth taking a look at Trimleaf to compare the prices.
There’s free expedited US shipping on orders over $50, regular deals and discounts, and a price match guarantee. And financing is available on orders over $199.
Finally, Trimleaf is an authorized dealer for every brand it carries—which means the lowest prices, expert customer service and full manufacturer warranty. So if you have a big harvest, we recommend checking them out to see if you’ll get a better deal.
Now, on with the reviews…
Here is a remarkably inexpensive machine with reasonably good ratings. Worth the money if your budget it tight and you have a lot of bud to process. The speed is adjustable to allow for more delicate processing.
- 3- Speed with On/Off Switch
- Hardened Steel Blades Cut Easily and Quickly
- Saves Hundreds of Man Hours Trimming by Hand
- Strong and Durable Steel Construction
- Easy To Clean, Leaves Fall Into Included Bag for Easy Dumping
Quiet electric bud trimmer
- Allows ease in the separation of leaves from flowers
- Electrical trimmer is equipped with a 110 volt motor
- Designed to vacuum the leaves into the cutting system
The Trimpro seems like a pricey investment, but if you have a lot of trimming because of regular harvests, it pays for itself very quickly. Plus, it’s one of the quieter electric trimmers.
There’s not a lot of work involved. Move the plant across the grate. The Trim Pro sucks the leaves downward. The spinning blade under the grate does the trimming for you. Voilá, you’re done. Put the bud aside to dry and grab the next.
The leaves are caught in the large sack underneath so it makes a lot less mess than the handheld Magic Trimmer we mentioned above. Don’t toss those leaves, though. It’s time to make brownies.
Compact pro tumble trimmer for larger harvests
- Built in suction power allows for a very tight trim.
- Fully pressure washable and easy to clean.
- Save time and money!
- Another great item from Flora Hydroponics!
When you’re growing on a large scale, you need a powerful trimmer to take care of big harvests. The Centurion Pro Mini can do both dry and wet trimming—just select the tumbler you need.
This trimmer is very compact, but it can process 6 to 8 pounds of buds each hour. The efficient dust collection system and dust collector keeps everything as neat and clean as possible. And when you’re done trimming, it’s actually easy to pull apart and wash.
Centurion Pro covers the Mini with an excellent 5-year warranty.
Here’s an electric dry trimmer that can cut up to 4 pound of buds in every 7-minute cycle. The manufacturer says that you should only have 10 to 15% of touch-up work to do, depending on the strain you process.
Self-cleaning industrial bud trimmer
If you have a large-scale commercial grow, you need a trimmer than can keep up with demand. The Triminator trims wet buds on a scale of 200lbs per day.
The blade reel is so sharp and accurate that it cuts as close as the width of a human hair. You won’t need to waste time doing touch-ups.
While resin is a good thing, it tends to jam up the works on other trimmers. But the Triminator has a resin-repelling, automatic cleaning system. A mist of atomized water coats the drum so that resin can’t stick to it.
The Triminator was built from military-grade material and it can be pressure-washed with no problem. It’s covered by a 2-year warranty.
Want a super-quiet, super-efficient hand crank bud trimmer that won’t tire you out?
Quiet, efficient manual trimmer
- The most advanced and efficient power-free trimming unit ever developed
- The stainless steel blades are of the highest possible quality
- Blade height is adjustable as with all TRIMPRO products.
The Trim Pro Unplugged is the one. It’s light but solid, and makes a minimum of noise, so you can take and use it anywhere. Home, greenhouse or wherever. Materials are top quality. And the gentle trimming action, hand-controlled speed and adjustable blade height give you maximum control over the final results. A great wet trimmer from a leading brand—worth the extra few bucks.
- Professional quality bowl leaf trimmer with adjustable cutting blade
- New 19-inch model with metal gearbox
- Clear top harness the power of 20 scissors in 1 unit
- Trim twigs
- Comes with 1 stainless razor blade
This bowl trimmer by The Clean Cut comes in black, green, and blue. But the color isn’t nearly as important as the fact that it gets the job done right. This trimmer will help you get your work done in less than a quarter of the time it would take you to trim by hand.
The bowl is 16 inches in diameter so you can trim a lot of plant all at once. It comes with both a razor blade and a serrated blade. For wet buds, try the razor blade first. For dry, use the serrated blade. You can adjust either blade to cut the way you want.
The nonstick silicone fingers are a nice touch because they don’t leave any odor or flavor on your nugs. You can watch it working as you crank the handle because it has a transparent dome. And when you’re all done, it’s easy to pull apart for cleaning. Use alcohol to remove stickiness from trimming wet bud.
- METERIAL AND INCLUDES: Acrylic transparent cover, 24* black rubber strip and black rubber ring, stainless steel mesh and basin, 4* rubber column, 1* serrated blade for dry trim, 1* straight blade for wet trim, 1*scissors
- VISUAL CUTTING: 16-inch diameter. Clear plastic top for visual cutting
- Function: trim twigs and remove leaves (hydroponic)
- Powerful scissors: harness the power of 30 scissors in 1 unit
- Highly quality: come with sharp blade make clean quality cuts and minimize the damage done to the plants.
Another bowl trimmer with a transparent lid. It works on the same principle: you crank the handle to move the fingers and the blade to cut off excess leaves.
MaryJane Farmer’s Advice
Take a quick refresher course for growers. Or get our free E-book. Send some photos to MaryJane Farmer through the electric mailbox: email@example.com. And leave your comments, suggestions, advice and questions below. Everybody has an opinion, just like everybody has a bellybutton (you know the joke.) So let’s hear your opinion.
Last update on 2020-05-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.