Keep the Air Moving For Your Plants
If you are new to growing marijuana, or have been trying to grow it, but have been unsuccessful, this article is for you. Proper Air circulation in marijuana grow rooms is an important part of the process. If there is improper circulation, your plant growth may stunt, you may have weak branches which won’t hold the weight of heavy buds, and you might end up with a mildew or bug problem. All of these issues can be combated with the right size fans, placed appropriately.
How Plants Grow
Marijuana plants, like all plants, thrive off of carbon dioxide (CO2). The carbon dioxide that is in the air is absorbed by plants and it helps them to grow thick and strong. Without enough CO2, plants will not thrive; staying limp or brittle. Picture an elderly man with oxygen and then take the oxygen away, he will not function as well. That is your marijuana plant without adequate CO2; a frail old man.
Air circulation is important to ensure that fresh air is being brought into your growing room or tent. If the air is still, it gets stagnant and it will also be void of crucial CO2 which will make your plants suffer.
To ensure that your plants stay strong, make sure that you are bringing fresh air in with proper ventilation and air circulation.
How Air Circulation Benefits Your Plants
Marijuana that is grown outside grows big and strong because it gets plenty of air. Again, air has CO2 and that helps the plant to thrive.
When growing outside is not an option, and you are using a grow tent, you need to recreate the outdoors with lights and fresh air. While lights are a discussion for another time, fresh air can be vented in and circulated with fans.
The best way to see that your plants are getting the right amount of air is that they should gently rustle. Think about the way the leaves on a tree blow in the breeze. This is what you want. It is especially important in the canopy or the tops of the plants. Anything more, and it can be damaging to the plant, anything less, and they aren’t getting the proper amount of CO2 exchange.
Additionally, plants need proper air at the base. This will ensure that the plants don’t stay damp for too long, getting mildewed or moldy. It also keeps bugs away. Incorporating fans that will hit the lower parts of your plants is just as important as fans that circulate air and rustle the canopy.
Types of Fans
Fans come in a vast variety of types and sizes. Depending on the size of the tent you have, and the type of fan you are using will determine how many fans you will need.
In most scenarios, one ceiling fan should suffice, for a beginner’s tent. You might want something fancy like this.
Oscillating Stand Fan
Oscillating fans are great and more convenient because they can re-direct the air over multiple plants. Also, because you can adjust the height, you can direct them to hit both the canopy and the base of the plants at the same time.
Oscillating fans come in sizes ranging from 8” to 30.”
- ✅【3 SPEEDS 】The Lasko Wind Machine Fan features 3 high performance speeds that will keep you cool day and night
- ✅【PIVOTING FAN HEAD 】The fan head pivots to direct the powerful airflow up, down or anywhere in between
- ✅【BUILT TO LAST 】The Wind Machine Air Circulator Fan from Lasko features a rugged design and construction making sure it will last for years to come
- ✅【IDEAL FOR LARGE SPACES 】This floor fan is great for circulating air conditioning, exhausting stale air, and bringing in fresh air in large spaces in the home. The convenient carry handle makes it easy to move this fan from room to room
- ✅【TRUSTED FOR GENERATIONS 】Lasko has been a trusted maker of quality home environment products for over 100 years. Built to last and made from domestic & imported parts. ETL listed. Comes with Lasko’s trusted 2-pronged blue plug safety fuse technology
Tower fans are another ideal option because they move the air efficiently and eliminate any unnecessary noise. The tower design allows air to be more efficiently distributed throughout the room.
- ✅【POWER YOU CAN FEEL】The 42" Wind Curve Tower Fan has 3-speeds to keep you cool all day and night. This tower fan is perfect for large rooms and bedrooms. The remote control features 5 buttons: on/off, timer, speed, oscillation, and nighttime setting
- ✅【BLADELESS DESIGN】With a slim, sturdy, bladeless design, the 42" Lasko Wind Curve Tower Fan fits beautifully into your home and provides cooling comfort. This lightweight fan is easy to assemble, and the carry handle makes it simple to pick up and move
- ✅【OPTIMAL OSCILLATION】While other fans promote a full 90 degrees oscillation, we designed the 42" Lasko Wind Curve Tower Fan with 60 degrees of oscillation to ensure you feel more of the breeze so you're not waiting longer for the fan to come back around
- ✅【TIMER + QUIET NIGHTTIME MODE】The 42" Lasko Wind Curve Tower Fan has a 7.5-hour timer for easy on/off through the day or night. The quiet nighttime setting automatically dims the LED controls and decreases speed so you can sleep peacefully and stay cool
- ✅【DESIGNED IN THE USA】Designed and engineered in the USA and backed by our 1-year manufacturer’s warranty, Lasko has more than 115 years of American design and manufacturing experience building high-quality, ETL listed, safe and reliable fans.
Clip on Fans
Clip on fans are also great for smaller tents. If you have a larger set up, several clip-on fans would be beneficial. They have a similar effect as oscillating fans; they can be redirected to hit the most plants possible. Here is a rechargeable model.
How to Safely Install a Tent Fan
Always use a GFCI outlet. When you have fans running in an area where water is being used or sprayed, having a safety outlet is important. This monster is for someone with power surges and a number of lights and fans to connect. Power surge protectors like this can prevent damage to your LED Grow Lights.
- PowerVerter Ultra-Compact Inverter, portable power for all applications
- 3000 watts continuous output power; up to 6000 watts instantaneous power
- 4 shock-protected GFCI AC outlets; rugged all-metal housing
- Automatic shutdown feature prevents battery drain
- 1-year warranty
Also, take care to where you hang or place the fan. If water is being sprayed above them, it can get into the blade area and burn out the motor.
Air circulation is extremely important to growing a strong and healthy crop. If you have good air, your plants will get the necessary CO2 and flourish. This will produce a strong plant with strong branches that can support buds. And mildew will not be as much of a problem.
Make sure you also read MaryJane Farmer’s larger article about the best in-line fans for grow rooms.
Last update on 2023-02-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.