Keep the Air Moving For Your Plants
If you are new to growing marijuana, or have been trying to grow it, but have been unsuccessful, this article is for you. Proper Air circulation in marijuana grow rooms is an important part of the process. If there is improper circulation, your plant growth may stunt, you may have weak branches which won’t hold the weight of heavy buds, and you might end up with a mildew or bug problem. All of these issues can be combated with the right size fans, placed appropriately.
How Plants Grow
Marijuana plants, like all plants thrive off of carbon dioxide (CO2). The carbon dioxide that is in the air, is absorbed by plants and it helps them to grow thick and strong. Without enough CO2, plants will not thrive; staying limp or brittle. Picture an elderly man with oxygen and then take the oxygen away, he will not function as well. That is your marijuana plant without adequate CO2; a frail old man.
Air circulation is important to ensure that fresh air is being brought into your growing room or tent. If the air is still, it gets stagnant and it will also be void of crucial CO2 which will make your plants suffer.
To ensure that your plants stay strong, make sure that you are bringing fresh air in with proper ventilation and air circulation.
How Air Circulation Benefits Your Plants
Marijuana that is grown outside grows big and strong because it gets plenty of air. Again, air has CO2 and that helps the plant to thrive.
When growing outside is not an option, and you are using a grow tent, you need to recreate the outdoors with lights and fresh air. While lights are a discussion for another time, fresh air can be vented in and circulated with fans.
The best way to see that your plants are getting the right amount of air is that they should gently rustle. Think about the way the leaves on a tree blow in the breeze. This is what you want. It is especially important in the canopy, or the tops of the plants. Anything more, and it can be damaging to the plant, anything less, and they aren’t getting the proper amount of CO2 exchange.
Additionally, plants need proper air at the base. This will ensure that the plants don’t stay damp for too long, getting mildewed or moldy. It also keeps bugs away. Incorporating fans that will hit the lower parts of your plants is just as important as fans that circulate air and rustle the canopy.
Types of Fans
Fans come is a vast variety of types and sizes. Depending on the size of the tent you have, and the type of fan you are using, will determine how many fans you will need.
In most scenarios one ceiling fan should suffice, for a beginner’s tent. You might want something fancy like this.
Oscillating Stand Fan
Oscillating fans are great because they can re-direct the air over multiple plants. Also, because you can adjust the height, you can direct them to hit both the canopy and the base of the plants at the same time.
Oscillating fans come in sizes ranging from 8” to 30.”
- 3 High Performance Speeds - makes this fan ideal for the bedroom, living room, kitchen, or home office. The quiet yet powerful motor provides a cooling breeze throughout the room.
- Energy Efficient Operation - with five blades and 3 fan speeds this 20 inch fan provides a cooling breeze without driving up electric bills. Use in the cool weather to bring in fresh air and use in hot weather to ventilate.
- Built-in Carry Handle - makes this fan convenient and portable for use in the home or home office. The built-in carry handle allows you to easily move the fan from one location to another with a single hand.
- Fully Assembled - means you'll be able to use your fan right of the box. Just plug the fan into a wall outlet and adjust the speed using the dial. There's no stand or blades to assemble.
Tower fans are ideal because they move the air efficiently and eliminate any unnecessary noise. The tower design allows air to be more efficiently distributed throughout the room.
- BEAT THE HEAT – Powered by 3 speed settings H/M/L, fan is perfectly sized to aim over a high bed and powerful enough to blow across the room. If you live in the heat with no central air, and window AC units do a poor job of moving air around your whole house or apartment, this fan creates excellent air flow making you feel cooler.
- VERY QUIET – Fan creates a powerful breeze, but even on H, you can still hear the TV. Easy to assemble and operate. Comes with built-in carry handle, optional oscillation and energy efficient auto shut off timer programmable from 0. 5 to 7. 5 hours. The remote is the best when you don’t feel like getting up to change the settings.
- SLEEP LIKE A BABY – Circulates the warm & stuffy air at night so you can get some rest. Creates just the right amount of white noise at bedside for sleeping. Nighttime Setting automatically dims the control display and sets the fan on (H) for an hour, then (M) for an hour, and then stays on (L) until you interact with the fan again.
- A REAL SPACE SAVER – Standing 43” tall with a small 13” x 13” footprint, the sleek, vertical design optimizes floor space letting you to put the fan in places where pedestal & box fans won’t fit, without sacrificing air circulation, comfort or style. Ideal for the dorm, kitchen, living room, RV and camper.
- TRUSTED FOR GENERATIONS – Lasko has been making quality household products for over 100 years. Lasko fans are ETL Listed, come with our patented Blue Plug safety fuse technology, and are backed by a 1-yr limited , making them a safe choice for a cooling breeze when it’s hot and humid outdoors.
Clip on Fans
Clip on fans are also great for smaller tents. If you have a larger set up, several clip-on fans would be beneficial. They have a similar effect as oscillating fans; they can be redirected to hit the most plants possible. Here is a rechargeable model.
How to Safely Install a Tent Fan
Always use a GFCI outlet. When you have fans running in an area where water is being used or sprayed, having a safety outlet is important. This monster is for someone with power surges and a number of lights and fans to connect. Power surge protectors like this can prevent damage to your LED Grow Lights.
- PowerVerter Ultra-Compact Inverter, portable power for all applications
- 3000 watts continuous output power; up to 6000 watts instantaneous power
- 4 shock-protected GFCI AC outlets; rugged all-metal housing
- Automatic shutdown feature prevents battery drain
- 1-year warranty
Also, take care to where you hang or place the fan. If water is being sprayed above them, it can get into the blade area and burn out the motor.
Air circulation is extremely important to growing a strong and healthy crop. If you have good air, your plants will get the necessary CO2 and flourish. This will produce a strong plant with strong branches that can support buds. And mildew will not be as much of a problem.
Make sure you also read MaryJane Farmer’s larger article about the best in-line fans for grow rooms.
Last update on 2019-11-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API